p Box o' Spices: Our new find

Monday, February 26, 2007

Our new find

I know this is diverting from the theme of the blog, but I had to share it with you guys. We went to a furniture exhibition on Sunday just to take a look. We ended up buying this beautiful coffee table. It's an antique and over 100 years old. The guy who sold it to us could not give us too much information about it, except that it was a side door in a palace. He said it was from the Kapurthala. It was converted into a coffee table and just needed a glass top over it. Some of the details were a bit blue, and I'm not an expert at this, but I think it is because those parts were copper and got oxidized. Anyway we are so excited. I have added some pitures, but I dont think they do justice.


I have to figure out what to do with our current coffee table. Hmmm....

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger Sia said...

wow... thats really very lovely cofee table. and u said 100 yrs old? ~whistle~ :)
hopw u have figured out what to do with ur old coffee table by now;)
hey do u mind me adding u to my blogroll? just let me know:)

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger FH said...

Gorgeous SL!! I love it.

You know,in the coffee estates,we have very OLD houses with beautifully carved doors and Pillars.Sometimes,westerners come and pay a hefty sum of money ,often in Lakhs and buy those! Like fools we are, we usually sell our heritage never to be recovered.They often go to Europe and sold for even more money.

Cherish this table,if it is genuine that is,You know how many fakes are out there.Looks beautiful.Thanks for showing us.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Sia: Thanks. Still trying to figure out :) Will be great to be on your blogroll. And I will add you to mine too... if you dont mind.

Asha: Yea we knew with antiques there's always a chance they could be replicas. But we paid a pretty reasonable price and we figured that if someone really took all the effort in replicating it to that extent (including the wear and tear) they wouldve charged us more for it.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Seema Bhat said...

SP,
I have jsut fallen in love with you coffee table. I am a traditional furniture lover and we have decorated out house with all traditional furniture ( altho' not as antique as yours). This is so very beautiful. I have to show it to my hubby. Thanx for sharing it with all of us

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Hi Seema
Thanks... We usually prefer simple and sleek furniture, but love indian art. I think this will def stand out among the other stuff in our house.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Aparna said...

Hi, your coffee table looks exquisite. Hope to sometime furnish my home with such pieces...need time, money and more than all that space ;)
Excellent choice!!!

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Lia said...

hi your coffe table looks great similiar with mine, if u love antique furniture just look for it in indonesian furniture shop u will any type antique furniture :)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Kavitha said...

Aparna: Thanks. we just got lucky with that find. got a great deal in an exhibition as I think the seller didnt want to carry it back.

Lia: I dont think there are any indonesian furniture shops where I live. I love Indonesian and Thai art and furniture. Hope to visit someday!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home